Inspired by the flavors of summer and extra-porky goodness from pastured pigs.
- One 2–3 pound fresh ham (or substitute similar sized loin roast or shoulder)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 tablespoon coconut palm sugar (for SCD, omit or use honey)
- 1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
- 1 1/2 cups bone broth
- For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup of frozen or fresh pitted sweet cherries
- 1/2 cup of chopped rhubarb
- 1–2 tablespoons of honey, to personal taste
- 1 sprig rosemary
- Heat oven to 450 F.
- Mix salt and pepper with rosemary, sugar, and garlic. Rub all over the roast, working it into any crevices in the meat.
- Put meat in an oven safe skillet or roasting pan and put in oven.
- Roast for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and pour about 1/2 cup of broth over roast.
- Lower heat to 325 F and return meat to oven.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Combine all ingredients and allow to simmer on the stovetop until reduced and thick.
- Continue to roast for another 45-60 minutes. Every 15 minutes or so, pour another 1/4 cup of broth over roast.
- Check temperature and ensure that it is 145-150, transfer to a platter and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Slice roast and serve with cherry rhubarb sauce.
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American