Winter squash makes a great vessel for a mixture of ground meat and vegetables.
- 2 winter squashes such as red kuri, kabocha, carnival, or acorn
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 pound of ground beef (preferably grass fed)
- 1 cup spinach, washed and roughly chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dired thyme
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut squashes in half and scoop out seeds. Place on baking sheet, cut side up, and roast in oven for 45 minutes or until flesh is very soft.
- Melt coconut oil in skillet over medium heat and cook onions until slightly soft (about 5 minutes).
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink. Add spinach and cook until spinach is wilted (just a minute or two will be enough).
- Add salt and pepper to taste and herbs.
- Remove squash from oven and divide meat and vegetable between four squash halves.
- Return to oven and allow to roast for about 10 minutes so that flavors can blend together. Remove and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Main