This salad uses all parts of the beet, including the greens, and pairs it with grapefruit and a surprising dressing.
- 3–4 medium beets with beet greens attached
- 1 large grapefruit
- 1–2 tablespoons sliced or chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut greens off and peel beets. Rinse greens and set aside.
- Sprinkle beets with salt and wrap in aluminum foil. Place in baking dish and roast in oven for about 1 and a half hours, or until cooked through.
- Allow beets to cool completely, then cut them into slices about 1/4 inch thick.
- Bring a medium pan of water to a boil, then cook the greens in the boiling water until soft (about 4 minutes). Drain and cool under running cold water, then squeeze water out of greens and chop them into bite sized pieces. Set aside.
- Cut peel and outer membrane off grapefruit, then cut the segments out of the membrane (see link above for an illustration of “supreming” a citrus fruit).
- In an empty jar with a tight fitting lid, combine vinegar, olive oil, and anchovy paste and shake vigorously.
- Assemble salad by either layering or tossing cooked greens, beet slices, grapefruit segments, and red onion.
- Pour dressing over entire salad.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 90 mins
- Category: Salad