Dairy, grain, and legume free stuffed summer squash! If you don’t have 8 ball squash, make squash boats instead.
- 4 round summer squashes and/or zucchinis (also known as 8-ball squash)
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small diced onion
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut top of squash and scoop out seeds and inner flesh, leaving a shell that is about 1/4-1/2 inch thick all around. If the squash has a rounded bottom and doesn’t sit flat in your baking dish, you may also wish to slice of a thin layer on the bottom to allow it do so.
- Season squash with salt and place in oven to precook while you prepare the filling (about 15 minutes).
- Heat coconut oil in a medium skillet. Saute onion and celery until slightly softened, add garlic and cooke until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Add ground pork and herbs. Cook, breaking up meat with a spoon and stirring frequently, until no longer pink.
- Remove squash from oven and evenly distribute the meat mixture among them. If desired, replace the squash tops.
- Pour a small amount of water in the baking dish and place it in the oven. Bake until the squash is soft, slightly browned, and flavors have melded together (30-45 minutes). This will vary depending on how big your squash is.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: entree