This paleo/primal bolognese sauce packs a ton of taste and modifications are suggested for making it AIP-compatible.
- 6 ounces pancetta or compliant thick cut bacon, diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped (omit for low-FODMAP)
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage leaves, minced
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed or minced (omit for low-FODMAP)
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 cups red wine
- 4 cups Paleo On the Go “Nomato Sauce” (use “nomato” for AIP) or Richie’s tomato sauce (recipe below
- 6 ounces pumpkin puree (use pumpkin puree for AIP) or tomato paste
- OPTIONAL: 3 jalapeno peppers, finely minced (omit for AIP)
- salt and pepper to taste (omit pepper for AIP)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk coconut milk
- Over medium to medium-high heat in a large skillet, cook pancetta or bacon until fat is rendered and pancetta is crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside, leaving fat in pan.
- Add olive oil, celery, carrot, rosemary, and sage. Cook until carmelized, about 15 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the white wine to deglaze the pan and scrape up any browned bits. Cook until the wine is reduced and the pan is almost dry, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground meats and cook, breaking into small pieces, until no pink remains, about 5 minutes.
- Add the red wine and reduce until pan is almost dry, about 5 minutes.
- Add the “nomato” or or tomato sauce, the pumpkin puree or tomato paste, and the reserved pancetta or bacon as well as the optional peppers, if you are using them.
- Lower heat to simmer and cook until thick and all flavors have mingled, about 1 hour.
- Adjust seasonings to taste and add coconut milk just before serving.
- Serve over squash noodles.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 90 mins
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Italian