This is an homage to the fish fries of my Wisconsin childhood, but this version is gluten free, grain free, dairy free, nut free, and egg free!
- Heat oil to 375 degrees. If not using a deep fryer, make sure you use a deep pot to minimize splattering and pay careful attention to the temperature so that it does not get too hot or drop too much when the fish is added.
- Mix the cassava flour, kombucha, and salt in a shallow bowl with a fork. Add up to 1/3 cup water to form a thick but liquid batter.
- Place the tapioca starch in a separate shallow dish and lightly coat all sides of the cod.
- Working in batches if necessary, drop the cod fillets in the batter and turn to coat. Allow some of the excess to drip off and then transfer to the hot oil.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until the batter is golden brown. Remove from the oil and allow to drain on a wire rack set over a cookie sheet.
- Serve as quickly as you can – like all fried fish, this tastes best straight out of the fryer and will lose its crispiness if it sits for too long.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American