By the taste of this, you’d think lots of effort from a skilled hand had to be behind the recipe. But the truth is the slow cooker holds the secret to this perfectly “shreddable” sweet and savory pork. Wonderful served alone or as a lil’ “sammich.”
- 1 1/2 lbs (680 grams) pork loin or pork shoulder
- 1 onion, sliced into rings
- 1 teaspoon (3 g) sea salt
- 1 teaspoon (3 g) paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon (3 g) garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon (1 g) dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 cup (50 g) coconut palm sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) local raw honey
- For serving: Sweet Potato Slider Buns (page 146 of Down South Paleo)
- Place the pork loin in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Place the onion rings around the pork.
- Sprinkle all the seasonings on top of the pork, saving the apple cider vinegar and honey for last.
- Once the pork has been seasoned, pour the vinegar on top of the pork and then drizzle the honey over the seasonings.
- Cook on high for about 4 hours, or until the meat shreds easily with a fork and knife.
- Serve on the Sweet Potato Slider Buns for a house full of smiles!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Southern