Use the pressure cooker function of an Instant Pot to transform this tough cut of meat into a nutrient dense stew without heating up your house.
- 4 slices of bacon, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1–2 pounds grassfed beef oxtail, cut up
- Sea salt
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1–2 inch pieces
- 2 celery stalks, chopped roughly
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped roughly
- 8 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup bone broth (if you don’t want to make your own, try this brand)
- Press the “saute” button on your Instant Pot and allow it to get hot.
- Add the bacon and cook until fat is rendered and bacon pieces are crispy, stirring frequently. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon, leaving fat in pot.
- Season the oxtail with salt and then sear on all sides in the rendered bacon fat. Remove oxtail pieces and set aside with the bacon.
- Add carrots, celery, and onion to the pot and cook until slightly browned and softened, stirring the whole time. Add the garlic, rosemary, and bay leaves and cook just until aromatic.
- Add the wine and stir to deglaze the pan, scraping up any browned bits. Cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the broth and stir.
- Return the oxtail pieces and bacon to the pot.
- Place lid on Instant Pot and seal closed.
- Press “cancel” to stop saute mode, then press the “manual” button and the + button until display registers 75.
- After cooking time is complete, allow pot to switch into “keep warm” mode and let pressure naturally release for 20 minutes. Manually release any remaining pressure and then open the lid.
- Remove bay leaves and rosemary stems and discard. Scoop oxtail pieces out and set aside to cool enough to handle, leaving the rest of the stew in the pot on “keep warm” mode.
- Using your hands, pull meat off the oxtail bones. Keep the bones for future broth making and return the meat to the pot and allow to come back up to temperature.
- Serve alone or with a starchy side dish of your choice.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 120 mins
- Category: Entree