This dish is divine with lard, but coconut oil will work well too. The starch in the sweet potatoes combined with the fat and the chicken broth make it deceptively creamy without any dairy at all.
- 4 large white sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, plus more for garnish
- 3 tablespoons lard or coconut oil
- up to 1 cup chicken broth
- Place sweet potato chunks and rosemary sprigs in a large pot and fill with water so that potatoes are covered.
- Bring to boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 12 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are soft.
- Drain potatoes and discard the rosemary sprigs.
- Return potatoes to hot pan.
- Stir in fat, about ½ teaspoon salt, and some of the broth.
- Mash with potato masher until smooth, adding enough broth to reach desired consistency.
- Adjust salt to taste.
- Transfer to a bowl or casserole dish for serving.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 12 mins
- Category: side dish