Most tater tots are made with pretty unsavory ingredients, and for those who are extra sensitive to cross contamination, eating them out becomes basically impossible. I made these with sweet potato and bacon for a flavor kick and no risk of the yucky stuff like rancid oils or traces of gluten!
- 1 large sweet potato
- 5 strips of crispy bacon, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic sea salt (or less, to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (Note from Jaime: Omit for AIP)
- 1/2 cup (80 g) potato starch or cassava flour (Note from Jaime: Use cassava flour for AIP)
- Avocado oil or light olive oil for frying
- Boil the sweet potato submerged in water for about 10 minutes. Remove the sweet potato from the boiling water and once cool enough to handle, peel or slice the skin off. Grate the sweet potato, using a hand grater, mandolin or food processor.
- Once the sweet potato is grated, use a hand towel or a few paper towels to squeeze out the excess water from the potato. This step is important, as you do not want to have soggy tots!
- Add the other ingredients (minus the oil) to the grated sweet potato in a mixing bowl and combine by hand. Preheat oil for frying in a large skillet over medium/high heat; it does not need to be enough oil for deep frying, but it should be enough to generously cover the bottom of the skillet.
- While the cooking oil heats, begin shaping your tots. Roll about a tablespoon (15 g) of the dough into a ball, and then elongate it and flatten the ends to give it that distinctive tot shape.
- Fry the tots, rolling them around on all sides to make sure they crisp up. Once all sides are cooked, around 5 minutes or more, use a slotted spoon or skimmer to remove the tots and transfer them to a towel-lined plate to cool slightly. Serve alone or with my Awesome Sauce.
For little hands: Allow your child to help shape the tots. It’s okay if they are not shaped perfectly as they will fry deliciously regardless. Older kids can help fry the tots while supervised.
- Category: side dish
- Cuisine: American