Classic shepherd’s pie is comforting, but so much work and so many dishes! This AIP-friendly version is made in a single pot and skips the unnecessary prep like mashing potatoes.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted and divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon cassava flour (optional)
- 2 cups leftover cooked lamb meat, cut into bite sized chunks
- 1/2 cup bone broth
- salt to taste
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and sliced into rounds about 1/8 thick
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil in an oven safe skillet, such as cast iron.
- Add onions, carrots, and mushrooms to skillet and cook, stirring constantly until softened (about 5 minutes).
- Add cassava flour and mix in, cook for about 1 minute.
- Add lamb meat and broth and stir to combine. Taste and add salt if desired. Then spread so the meat and vegetable mixture is an even layer in the skillet.
- Arrange sweet potato slices in a single layer on top. Brush with remaining 1 tablespoon coconut oil and sprinkle with dried rosemary and salt.
- Cover with aluminum foil and place skillet in oven. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove aluminum foil and turn broiler in oven on to brown tops of sweet potatoes (watch carefully, may take just a minute or two).
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Casserole