Olive oil cake is a traditional Italian pastry but this one has a few twists that makes it suitable for vegans and people who are following the Paleo autoimmune protocol.
Olive Oil Apple Cake
- 1 cup cassava flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, freshly grated
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Coconut oil for greasing pan
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup coconut butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease an 8 inch round cake pan with coconut oil and lightly dust with cassava flour. Shake pan to distribute flour evenly and then discard any that hasn’t stuck to the pan.
- Whisk together cassava flour, tapioca starch, coconut flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger.
- Add orange zest, olive oil, apple sauce, maple syrup, water, and vanilla (if using). Mix well, until no lumps remain.
- Add in apple cider vinegar and then immediately spread batter in prepared cake pan and place in oven to bake for 30 minutes.
- Allow cake to cool completely, then run a knife around the edge to release cake from pan and carefully flip cake over onto plate.
- If your coconut butter is solid, gently warm it in a sauce pan full of water until it is soft enough that you can stir it up (a solid layer of oil usually separates and collects at the top of a new jar).
- In a blender, combine coconut oil, coconut butter, salt, and maple syrup until smooth.
- Spread or drizzle on top of cake and top with fresh fruit if desired before serving.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Italian