This nightshade-free green curry sauce is so good you’ll want to lick your bowl. Don’t let the long list of ingredients dissuade you… it comes together fast and is worth the effort!
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves and stems
- 1/2 cup Thai basil leaves
- 1 6 inch long stalk lemongrass, minced
- 1 inch chunk fresh ginger, minced
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce (omit for SCD)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- pinch of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon dried ground galangal (or dried ginger)
- juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup coconut milk (divided)
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- up to 1 tablespoon fish sauce (omit for SCD)
- 1/4 cup Thai basil leaves, plus more to garnish
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Make curry paste by combining cilantro, 1/2 cup Thai basil leaves, lemongrass, fresh ginger, shallot, cloves, 1 teaspoon fish sauce, salt, cloves, cinnamon, galangal, juice and zest of lime, and water in a high speed blender. Puree until smooth.
- In a large skillet, heat coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add paste and cook, stirring constantly, until very fragrant and the oil has started to separate.
- Stir in 1/2 cup coconut milk and bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium and cook until slightly darkened (about 3 minutes).
- Stir in chicken pieces and 1/2 cup coconut milk. Cook for 4 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and carrots. Stir to distribute evenly. Cover and cook for 5 more minutes, or until chicken has cooked through and carrots and mushrooms are soft.
- Taste and add up to 1 tablespoon fish sauce and additional salt if desired.
- Add 1/4 cup Thai basil leaves and stir. Bring to a simmer just long enough to soften leaves, then remove from heat.
- Serve with additional Thai basil leaves and lemon wedges.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Thai