A cross between a savory side dish and dessert – either way this stuffed pumpkin will look gorgeous on any autumn holiday table!
- 2 small sugar pumpkins
- 2 bacon slices, chopped
- 2 large apples, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Rinse and dry pumpkins and put on baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool while preparing filling.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook bacon, stirring, until crispy and fat has rendered. Remove with a slotted spoon, leaving fat in skillet, and set aside.
- Add apples to the pan with the bacon fat and cook, stirring, until soft. Stir in cranberries and cinnamon and remove from heat.
- Cut the top off each of the sugar pumpkins. Be careful… the shell may be quite hard. It may be easier to first use the tip of your knife to pierce a hole first and then use that to start your cut.
- Schoop out the seeds, trying to leave the pumpkin flesh on the sides inside the pumpkin.
- Divide apple cranberry filling evenly between the pumpkins and sprinkle with reserved bacon.
- Return to oven for 5 minutes, to allow flavors to meld.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Category: Side Dish