If the taste or texture or sardines turns you off, give this recipe for grain free sardine cakes a try. The olives and lemon zest tones down the fishiness and the mashed plantain allows it to be fried like a crab cake.
- Drain sardines and place in a bowl. Mash with a fork.
- Add parsley, olives, lemon zest and juice, and mashed plantain. Use fork to combine well.
- Use your hands to shape into 4 equal size patties and set on a plate.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- When oil is hot, very carefully place the patties in the pan and allow to cook without disturbing until browned and crispy on the bottom, then very carefully flip each patty so they can get equally brown and crispy on the other side. This should take about 5-7 minutes, but this depends very much on exactly how hot your oil is and the pan you are using. Don’t allow them to burn, but do allow them to cook on each side long enough to get very crispy and heated through.
- Remove from pan and serve on top of a bed of lettuce, garnished with additional fresh parsley, and with a wedge of lemon to squeeze over top.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 7 mins
- Category: Entree