Necessity is the mother of invention, and you have to love that mother when the results are as good as these naturally sweetened maple cranberry orange cookies!
- 3/4 cup (105 grams) Otto’s cassava flour
- 3/4 cup (90 grams) tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) lard or palm shortening
- 1/2 cup (125 grams) applesauce
- 1/4 cup (8 grams) maple syrup
- zest of 1 large orange
- 3/4 cup (120 grams) dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine cassava flour, tapioca starch, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine lard or palm shortening, applesauce, maple syrup, and orange zest until smooth. Add the dry ingredients from the small mixing bowl and combine evenly. Stir in the dried cranberries.
- Use a tablespoon to measure out small cookies and use your hands to shape them into even balls. Place balls on parchment paper lined baking sheet and gently press down with the palm of your hand to form cookies that are about 1/4 inch thick.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cookies are firm and lightly browned, but not burning.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on the cookie sheet for at least 5 minutes before using a spatula to transfer them one-by-one onto a cooling rack. They will be quite fragile until they are completely cool.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Dessert