A whole head of romanesco makes a stunning side dish! Serve at a holiday meal and “carve” it at the table so all can enjoy its unusual beauty.
- Remove and discard any leaves that came attached to the romanesco head. Using a sharp paring knife, cut a large X about 2 inches deep into the bottom of the head. Set aside.
- In a large pot with a lid, such as a Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion to hot oil and saute, stirring frequently, until very soft and slightly brown (5-7 minutes).
- Add bone broth and olives and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low.
- Gently place romanesco head on top of onion mixture.
- Cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until romanesco is very tender and will cut apart with ease.
- Carefully remove the romanesco and set aside. Add raisins and lemon juice to onion mixture and stir. Taste and salt as desired.
- Place the onion mixture on serving plate and then place the whole romanesco on top of that. Garnish with lemon zest and a sprinkle of coarse salt before serving.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Category: Side
- Cuisine: Italian