What happens with the earth meets the sea? You get a dish like this stuffed flounder! It utilizes the greens of the root vegetables that are roasted with it, so there is practically no waste and high nutrient density.
- 1 bunch beets with greens
- 1 bunch radishes with greens
- 1 bunch carrots with greens
- 1/4 pound Brussels sprouts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 lemon, cut into paper thin slices
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Prepare beets, radishes, and carrots as follows: Remove greens and set aside to use for stuffing. Wash vegetables thoroughly and peel beets and carrots if desired. Cut all into evenly sized pieces, each one about 2 inches square or diameter, or large bite-sized.
- Cut Brussels sprouts in half or in quarters, depending on their size, so that they are about the same size as the root vegetables.
- Toss beets, radishes, carrots, and Brussels sprouts together along with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a generous sprinkle of salt. Spread in an even layer in a baking pan or casserole dish.
- Place in preheated oven and roast for 30 minutes, while you prepare the fish.
- Wash the reserved root vegetable greens carefully to remove any grit. Remove any very tough stems and finely chop the rest. Measure out 4 cups of greens, loosely packed. NOTE: You will likely have more than you need for this recipe, so plan to reserve some for another use or saute the extra while the fish is baking and serve alongside the meal.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil and then saute the shallots and mushrooms until both are soft and slightly browned (about 5 minutes). Add the chopped greens and continue cooking and tossing until all are wilted and very soft.
- Add salt to taste. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Lay fillets flat on a work surface with the skinned side up. Spoon an equal portion of the greens and mushroom mixture onto the center, near the narrower end of the fillet, and then roll into a cylinder, enclosing the stuffing mixture.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven and gently place the rolled up fish fillets on top. Sprinkle with dried oregano and salt as desired, then place lemon slices on each fillet.
- Cover with a layer of parchment paper and aluminum foil over top to tightly seal and return to oven. Bake for 30 minutes, then remove from oven and remove foil. Return to oven for at least 10 more minutes, uncovered. Check fish to see if it is cooked through; if it is not, cook for up to another 15 minutes uncovered.
- Allow to rest in pan for 10 minutes, then serve.
If you can’t get vegetables with greens attached, you can substitute 1 pound of fresh spinach for the greens.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Entree