Carob syrup is the secret ingredient for sweetness, richness, and the visually appealing browning of these baked chicken wings. Lime juice and zest provides the sour.
- If wings are whole, cut apart the segments so you have separate flats and drumettes. Reserve the wing tips for broth making.
- Combine lime zest, lime juice, smashed garlic cloves, carob syrup or molasses, and salt in a bowl with a lid or a large zip lock bag. Add chicken wings and distribute liquid evenly.
- Allow to marinate in refrigerator for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 450° F. Place a wire rack on top of a full size baking sheet.
- Remove wings from marinade and reserve the liquid for step 7 and 8.
- Spread wings in an even layer on the rack and then place in oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and use tongs to carefully flip each wing. Use a washable brush to baste each wing with some of the marinade mixture and return to the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and flip one more time. Baste the other side with more of the marinade, discarding any left after this. Return to the oven for 10 more minutes.
- Transfer wings to a serving platter and garnish with green onion sprinkled over top.
- Prep Time: 3 hours
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Category: Appetizer