These fun zucchini boats pack the flavor of a shrimp scampi, but without any dairy. Arranging the basil leaves like sails is optional but highly encouraged!
- 2 large zucchini
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt, to taste
- 1/2 pound large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- juice from 1 large lemon
- 8 basil leaves for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Cut zucchinis in half lengthwise and use a spoon to gently scoop out the seeds and inside flesh, to form 4 “boats.”
- Set insides aside to use later. Place boats in large baking dish and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the shrimp. Peel and devein if needed and then chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Add chopped shrimp and garlic, cook for about 3 minutes and then add the reserved zucchini insides. Continue cooking for another 3-4 minutes until shrimp is pink and mostly cooked, zucchini is soft, and garlic is fragrant but not browned. Set mixture aside.
- Remove zucchini boats from oven and distribute the shrimp mixture evenly to fill them. Return to oven and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and squeeze lemon over all four boats and garnish with basil leaves before serving.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Category: Entree