Make meal prep easy! Use your Instant Pot or other multi-cooker to make this BBQ pork with minimal effort, then use the meat and the delicious sauce that results for multiple meals during the week.
- Set Instant Pot (or other multi-cooker) to “sauté.”
- When hot, place pork roast in cooker, fat side down. Allow to cook for about 5 minutes undisturbed. This will brown the top and begin to render some of the fat. Use long handled tongs to turn the pork to repeat on each of the remaining sides, cooking for a total of 15-20 minutes. Then remove and set aside on a plate, leaving rendered fat in the cooker.
- Put onions and garlic in the cooker and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, so that onions begin to soften and brown.
- Add all other ingredients to the cooker, stir to combine. Then put pork back into the cooker, fat side up.
- Seal lid and set to cook under high pressure for 90 minutes.
- When cooking time is complete, allow pressure to release naturally for 15 minutes and then open lid. Remove meat and transfer to a large cutting board, baking dish, bowl, or other vessel that will allow easy shredding and chopping. Let meat rest until cool enough to easily handle.
- Meanwhile, if you prefer a thicker BBQ sauce, turn the cooker back to “sauté” and bring to a boil. Allow to cook while the meat is resting.
- Shred the meat using two forks, or chop into bite sized pieces with a large knife, depending on your preference. Return the meat to the sauce, or pour the sauce over the meat and serve.
This recipe will work best with a boneless pork shoulder of 4-5 pounds. If you opt to use a bone-in pork butt roast or a picnic roast, increase the cooking time under pressure to 120 minutes.
- Prep Time: 45 mins
- Cook Time: 120 mins
- Category: Entree