Serve these bacon wrapped scallops as a fancy finger food appetizer with the smoky basil sauce on the side for dipping, or plated as a main course.
- 1 pound large sea scallops
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 bacon slices
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- lemon wedges for serving
- Preheat oven broiler and arrange rack to be about 4 inches below heat source.
- Drizzle scallops with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic powder. Set aside.
- Cook bacon in skillet until just done enough to be somewhat crisp, but still pliable. Remove bacon from skillet and reserve bacon fat for use in making the basil sauce.
- Cut each piece of bacon in half so it is just large enough to wrap around a scallop once and then use toothpicks to secure.
- Arrange bacon wrapped scallops in a single layer on a baking sheet or broiler pan. Put in oven and broil for 3 minutes. Remove from oven, carefully flip each scallop and return to broil for another 3 minutes.
- Make sauce by combining reserved bacon fat and fresh basil leaves in a small food processor or high speed blender.
- Serve scallops with lemon wedges and sauce on the side, or drizzled over top, or plated as pictured.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 6 mins
- Category: Appetizer