Delicious gluten and grain free, dairy free, and nut free paleo red velvet cupcakes that get their color from beets rather than a bottle.
- 1–3 beets, depending on size (enough to make 1 cup beet puree)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup palm shortening (or grassfed butter)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wrap beet(s) in aluminum foil and roast in oven for about an hour, until they are very soft. Allow to cool, then remove peel and puree in a food processor or blender. Measure out 1 cup of puree.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a standard muffin pan with liners.
- Whisk all dry ingredients in a small bowl.
- Combine shortening, honey, eggs, vanilla, lemon juice, and beet puree in a separate bowl.
- Mix dry and wet ingredients together.
- Divide batter evenly in muffin pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Allow to cool and then top with your favorite vanilla frosting, if desired.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 90 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American