This delicious soup captures the wonderful flavors of fall and puts the flavors of pumpkin pie spice into a savory dish.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 small or 1 large apple, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 medium (about 2 pounds) butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into cubes
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- a pinch of ground cloves
- a pinch of ground allspice
- 1 quart (4 cups) of chicken broth, preferably homemade
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sage leaves for garnish (optional)
- In a large saucepan, melt the coconut oil over medium heat.
- Cook the onions until they are soft and beginning to brown (about 7 minutes).
- Add the apples and squash and cook until soft (about 10 minutes).
- Add the spices and toss until fragrant.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to puree soup until very smooth, or carefully transfer to a standard blender and puree in batches (you may wish to let the soup cool for a few minutes first).
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with sage.
You can substitute a tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice mix for the individual spices.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Category: soup
- Cuisine: American