Don’t you love the flavors of fall? This dairy-free recipe for apple and butternut squash soup was born out of an over-abundance of apples from our recent trip to the u-pick farm and my desire to enjoy the delicious flavors of pumpkin pie spice in a savory dish. It came together quickly and was a very satisfying dish on a cool night. It is also a great way to sneak in some extra nourishing bone broth.
The recipe is very flexible and good for people on a wide variety of healing diets, with just a few modifications.
- For low-FODMAP, eliminate the onions and either eliminate or reduce the apples, depending on your tolerance level.
- For paleo autoimmune protocol (AIP), omit the nutmeg, allspice, and pepper.
- For GAPS, SCD or GFCF, no modifications are necessary.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 small or 1 large apple, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 medium (about 2 pounds) butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into cubes
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- a pinch of ground cloves
- a pinch of ground allspice
- 1 quart (4 cups) of chicken broth, preferably homemade
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sage leaves for garnish (optional)
- In a large saucepan, melt the coconut oil over medium heat.
- Cook the onions until they are soft and beginning to brown (about 7 minutes).
- Add the apples and squash and cook until soft (about 10 minutes).
- Add the spices and toss until fragrant.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to puree soup until very smooth, or carefully transfer to a standard blender and puree in batches (you may wish to let the soup cool for a few minutes first).
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with sage.
Shared on Easy Green Mama’s Gluten Free Tuesday, Holistic Squid’s Party Wave Wednesday.PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.