This is authentic shepherd’s pie but without the gluten or dairy you’ll find in most. And it doesn’t dirty every dish you own in the process of making it!
- 2 pounds of Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, grassfed butter, or ghee
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 cup of sliced or chopped mushrooms
- 1–2 teaspoons of arrowroot powder
- 1 1/2 cups of beef broth (divided)
- 2 cups of cooked lamb meat, chopped
- dried rosemary
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- If necessary, cut the potatoes so they are similar sizes. This insures they will cook evenly.
- Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water and add a teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer and cook until a paring knife slides in and out of the potato without resistance (about 15-20 minutes).
- Meanwhile, melt fat in a large skillet. Over medium heat, cook onions, carrots, and mushrooms until soft (about 7-10 minutes).
- Sprinkle arrowroot powder over vegetables and mix, then add 1 cup of beef broth. Allow to cook until it reaches your preferred thickness (about 5 minutes). Mix in meat and allow it to warm through. Add dried rosemary, salt, and pepper to taste, then remove from heat and set aside.
- Drain potatoes and push through ricer, returning potatoes to the hot pan. Add 1/2 cup of beef broth and mix. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place meet and vegetable mixture in pie pan or casserole dish. Spread potatoes over the top, pressing up against the edge of the pan to seal the dish.
- Sprinkle with rosemary.
- Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes.
My version of the paleo diet includes white potatoes. If you do not eat potatoes (they are nightshades and therefore excluded in the introductory phases of the paleo autoimmune protocol), then you could replace them with mashed cauliflower.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Category: main dish