Moist and delicious apple spice cupcakes that you’d never guess are grain and dairy free.
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup honey
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- For frosting:
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup honey
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup coconut oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare muffin/cupcake pan with liners.
- Using an electric mixer or by hand, combine applesauce, honey, and eggs until smooth.
- Sift together all dry ingredients, making sure to get out any lumps in the coconut flour.
- Combine dry and wet ingredients, mixing thoroughly.
- Divide batter amongst 10-12 cupcake liners, filling each one about 2/3 of the way up.
- Place in oven and bake for 35-45 minutes, or until top is lightly browned and toothpick comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, begin making frosting. In a medium saucepan, heat coconut milk, honey, salt, and vanilla and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl or ramekin, combine arrowroot powder and water to form a thick paste.
- Add arrowroot mixture to pan, whisk vigorously, and bring to a boil.
- Remove pan from heat and very slowly add melted coconut oil while mixing with an electric hand blender.
- Allow pan to cool slightly, then place whole thing in refrigerator for at least an hour or until it is cool and has turned white.
- Remove from refrigerator and use electric hand blender to whip until fluffy.
- Spread a dollop on each cupcakes (this frosting is quite sweet, so you don’t need a lot but let your tastes be the guide!).
- Sprinkle with cinnamon for garnish.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Category: dessert