These plantain chips have a satisfying crunch and make a great paleo-friendly chips and guac combination!
- 2 green plantains
- 4–6 tablespoons coconut oil
- sea salt
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 avocado
- juice of 1/2 lime
- Slice the plantains as thin as possible.
- Melt the coconut oil over medium heat in a large cast iron skillet.
- Add the sliced plantains in a single layer (you will need to fry in several batches) and watch very closely as they will burn easily.
- Use a large pancake turner to flip them after just 1-2 minutes and fry until crisp on both sides.
- Remove to drain on a paper towel lined plate and sprinkle with sea salt. Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the guacamole. Smash the garlic with salt until it is a smooth paste (using a mortar and pestle makes this easy).
- Peel and pit the avocado, mash with the garlic. Add lime juice and mix thoroughly.
- Taste and add additional salt if needed.
- Serve immediately as the chips will lose their crispness if they sit for a long time.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: appetizer