This is a one dish meal that even cabbage-haters will love!
- 1 small chicken, preferably smaller than 5 pounds
- 1 head of cabbage
- 2–3 Granny Smith apples (or other good baking variety)
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds (optional)
- 1 small onion
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or ghee
- salt to taste
- Remove chicken from wrapping and allow to sit at room temperature for about an hour.
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
- Cut cabbage into wedges and scatter in bottom of roasting pan.
- Peel and slice apples (reserving apple cores); scatter with cabbage in roasting pan. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of dried sage, optional fennel seeds, and salt.
- Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the chicken cavity. Sprinkle about 1/2 teaspoon of sage inside cavity.
- Peel and quarter onion. Stuff onion and reserved apple cores inside chicken. If desired, use kitchen twine to truss the chicken.
- Rub outside of chicken with coconut oil or ghee, sprinkle with remaining dried sage and salt.
- Place chicken on roasting rack, or in center of pan.
- Place pan in oven and roast for 25 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 400 degrees F and continue roasting for up to 45 more minutes or until temperature in thickest part of chicken reaches 160 degrees F.
- Allow chicken to rest for 20 minutes before carving (you may want to return cabbage and apples to warm oven to keep them hot).
- Prep Time: 70 mins
- Cook Time: 90 mins
- Category: Main