I just love a simple roast chicken and am always looking for ways to further simplify life by turning it into a one dish meal that harnesses the heat of the oven to cook another dish and puts the juicy drippings to good use. This chicken with cabbage and apples does just that! While the chicken roasts, the juices mingle with the cabbage and apple slices to create a saucy, flavorful side dish that will please even non-cabbage lovers.
I know because for many years, I was one of those non-cabbage lovers. With a single exception for sauerkraut, which I’ve always loved, I disliked cabbage in any other form. Cooked or raw, seasoned or plain. I only had one word for cabbage: YUCK. But then a fellow cabbage hating friend told me that she had transformed herself and discovered a preparation for cabbage that was so good she had to stop herself from gobbling up the entire pan. I was skeptical, but a whole head of cabbage appeared that week in my CSA box and I decided to give it a shot.
My new word for cabbage: YUM.
You could prepare this dish in any roasting pan, but I have found that a larger pan like this one is helpful because it lets you spread the cabbage and apple slices out so they can roast evenly.
Notes for healing diets
- This recipe is Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) legal.
- To make this recipe paleo autoimmune protocol (AIP) compliant, do not add the optional fennel seeds.
- Apples are a high FODMAP food, but cabbage is not – though many people with digestive conditions report that cabbage is hard for them to digest. Cooked cabbage seems better for many people, so you may want to omit the apples and give this recipe a cautious try.
More great cabbage recipes
- Hungarian Stuffed Cabbage – The Sprouting Seed
- Ground Beef Stir Fry with Wilted Napa Cabbage – Popular Paleo
- Warming Cabbage Soup – Elston Backyard Farms
- Corned Beef and Cabbage Stew – Living Low Carb One Day At a Time
- Russian Cabbage Soup with Sausages – LA Healthy Living
Shared on Paleo AIP Recipe Roundtable.