This AIP-friendly recipe aims to recreate the “bread-y” texture of a traditional Italian American meatball without grains, dairy, nuts, or eggs.
- 1/2 cup cooked, mashed, and cooled yuca
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 2 tablespoons finely minced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed or finely minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- In a large bowl, use your hands to combine yuca, meats, onion, garlic, oregano, and about 1/2 teaspoon salt. Try to distribute the yuca evenly, but it is ok if some clumps stay together.
- Shape into meatballs about 1 inch in diameter (recipe should make about 20 meatballs).
- In a large skillet, heat coconut oil over medium low heat.
- Working in batches if necessary, fry meatballs until well browned on all sides. This will take about 20 minutes altogether. TIP – Do not start turning the meatballs until they have cooked for about 5 minutes. This will allow a nice brown crust to begin to form.
- Serve plain or with your favorite sauce as an appetizer, or simmer in your favorite red sauce and serve over a pasta substitute like zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Cuisine: Italian