Sweet potato fries from the oven that are actually crispy? It can be done!
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes (any color will do)
- 2 tablespoons lard, plus more for greasing pans
- Prepare two baking sheets by rubbing them evenly with a small amount of lard.
- Adjust oven racks so they are in middle positions. Place baking sheets in oven as you preheat it to 400 degrees.
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut them into fry shaped strips. You will get better results if the fries are consistent in size and shape, but some variation is acceptable.
- Melt the two tablespoons lard, the toss potatoes in a bowl with the melted lard and a bit of salt until they are evenly coated.
- Remove hot baking sheets from oven and spread fries on them in a single layer on the two pans.
- Return to oven and bake for 20 minutes, switching and rotating the pans after 10 minute.
- Carefully check one of the fries in the middle of one pan to see if the bottom is brown and crisp. If it is remove both pans and turn all of the fries over so a different side is touching the pan. If not, bake for another 5 minutes and check again.
- Return to oven for another 10-20 minutes, watching closely to make sure the potatoes do not begin to burn.
- Optional – turn the fries one more time during the final 10-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven when the fries are browned and have reached desired crispiness.
- Sprinkle with coarse salt and serve with your favorite condiments or dipping sauce.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Category: snack
- Cuisine: American