- SOUP BASE:
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- 2 cups water
- 6 fresh or dried kaffir lime leaves, roughly torn, or grated zest of 1 lime
- 2 stalks lemongrass, white parts only, thinly sliced
- 2 inches galangal or ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 lb total), thinly sliced
- 1 (14 oz) can full-fat coconut milk
- 6 oz mushrooms (straw, enoki, shiitake, oyster, or white; see note)
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- juice of 1/2 lime (1 tbsp)
- 1 tsp coconut palm sugar or honey (optional – omit for Whole30)
- sea salt to taste (about 1 tsp)
- TO GARNISH:
- large handful of fresh cilantro, stems included, chopped
- Thai Chili Oil (omit for AIP)
- Combine the soup base ingredients in a stockpot and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and gently simmer for 15 minutes to allow the flavors to marry. Strain and discard the solids, returning the broth to the stockpot.
- Add the chicken to the broth and bring to a simmer over medium heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until just cooked through, about 4 minutes. Stir in the coconut milk and mushrooms and simmer until the mushrooms are tender, about 2 minutes, then add the fish sauce, lime juice, and sugar. Taste and add salt and more fish sauce and lime juice if desired.
- Serve garnished with cilantro and Thai Chili Oil.
If using shiitake mushrooms, remove the stems before cooking—they are too tough to eat.
Optional ingredients to consider when adding the mushrooms: Chinese cabbage, bell pepper, and carrots.