This is a economical and comforting dish that is easy to make and healthy too!
- In a large skillet with a cover, heat oil over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, season steaks with salt, then coat each piece of meat with flour on both sides.
- Cooking in batches if necessary, brown the steaks without moving them for 3-4 minutes, then flip and brown on other side for 3-4 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add onions to skillet and cook until softened and beginning to brown (about 6-7 minutes).
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Slowly add broth, stirring and scraping bottom of skillet to dislodge browned bits. Bring to a boil and then reduce to low.
- Add fresh thyme leaves and stir to distribute.
- Return steaks in a single layer so that the are not completely submerged by gravy.
- Cover and simmer on low for 45 minutes.
- Serve steaks with gravy (it’s delicious on spaghetti squash, cauliflower mash, or other starchy side dish!)
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Entree