This AIP version of chicken pot pie is a dead ringer for the real thing, but it is completely grain, dairy, nut, and nightshade free!
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, lard, or other AIP-friendly cooking fat
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut 1/4 inch thick
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1/4 cup cassava flour
- 2 cups bone broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Cook onions, carrots, and celery until soft (about 5 minutes), stirring frequently. Add chicken. Sprinkle 1/4 cup cassava flour and stir to distribute and allow it to brown slightly (about 1-2 minutes).
- Add broth and cook until sauce is thick and bubbling, stirring constantly.
- Add thyme and salt to taste. Pour into 1-2 quart baking dish and set aside.
- In medium bowl, whisk together cassava flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Using two forks or a pastry blender, mix in lard or vegetable shortening until well distributed.
- Add water and mix with a spoon until dough forms.
- Roll dough out on floured surface and cut into six round biscuits (the dough will be wet, so this may be tricky – it’s OK if your biscuits look a little “rustic!”).
- Place biscuits on top of filling.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until biscuits are golden brown.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American