This hearty beef stew is delicious, easy, and nutrient dense. And preparing it in the Instant Pot makes it fast food!
- 1 pound beef stew meat, preferably grass fed, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons cooking fat of choice (I used bacon grease, but lard, tallow, or coconut oil would also work well)
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cassava flour
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup bone broth, preferably homemade
- 1 pound turnips, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Season beef with salt.
- Plug in Instant Pot and press “saute” button. When hot, put 1 tablespoon of fat in to melt.
- Add beef and brown on all sides (should take about 8 minutes total). Remove beef and set aside.
- Add remaining fat and onions to Instant Pot and cook, stirring constantly, until soft (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in cassava flour and thyme and cook for about one minute.
- Whisk in wine, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pot.
- Stir in broth, turnips, carrots, coconut aminos, and reserved beef.
- Place lid on Instant Pot and lock into place.
- Press the “Meat/Stew” button.
- When cooking is complete, allow pressure to release naturally for about 10 minutes, then quick release any remaining pressure.
- Ladle into individual bowls and garnish with parsley.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 60 mins
- Category: Entree