Beef stroganoff was a weekday favorite meal in my house for many years, until I had to eliminate grains and dairy. I finally figured out how to make an AIP version that everyone loves. Ground beef makes it super easy and cheap too, but you could try it with chunks of tenderloin or other steak if you prefer.
- 4 tablespoons lard, tallow, coconut oil, or another solid cooking fat (divided)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 pound ground beef (preferably grass fed)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1 1/2 cup bone broth (see this post for buying options, if you don’t have homemade)
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill weed, minced
- 1 3.5 ounce (100 gram) package of sweet potato glass noodles
- Over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons cooking fat in a skillet that has a lid. Add onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add 2 more tablespoons cooking fat, mushrooms, and garlic and cook until mushrooms have released some of their water, about 5 more minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add ground beef and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook until ground beef is no longer pink, about 5 more minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add bone broth to skillet and bring to strong simmer.
- Add noodles and cover skillet. Allow to cook undisturbed for 6 minutes.
- Check consistency of noodles. If they are not as soft as you would like, replace cover and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in coconut cream and lemon juice.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with dill before serving.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Russian