Red cabbage is packed with nutrients and when it is prepared this way, is also easy to digest and tastes amazing! Serve with roasted meats, especially nice on cold winter nights. NOTE: If you leave the peel on the apples it will add some extra texture and more insoluble fiber. If you don’t want this, peel the apples first.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, lard or other AIP-friendly cooking fat
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 apples, cored and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 head red cabbage, cored, quartered, and thinly sliced or shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar, or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 cup bone broth
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (optional)
- In large pot with a lid, such as a dutch oven, heat fat over medium heat. When hot, add onions and apples and cook until soft (about 4-6 minutes).
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Stir in cabbage, salt, vinegar, rosemary, and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer, cover and cook until cabbage is very tender (about 45 minutes).
- Add optional maple syrup if using, then taste and add more salt and vinegar if desired.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Vegetable