You won’t believe your senses when you bite into these extra crispy chicken wings! Enjoy them with or without the fries alongside… either way, it will make a meal that everyone can love.
- 2 pounds chicken wings (cut into drummettes and flats, with wing tips removed and saved for broth making)
- 1 teaspoon grain-free baking powder (see above for directions on AIP-friendly homemade baking powder)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- In small bowl, combine baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, garlic powder, onion powder, dill, and thyme.
- Place wing pieces in large bowl with a lid or in a large ziplock bag. Add baking powder and seasoning mixture and shake very well so that the wings are coated evenly.
- Place an oven safe stainless steel wire rack over a sheet pan. Place the wing pieces on the wire rack, spreading them out so that the wings are not touching each other.
- Place in oven on a rack placed near the middle of the oven to begin baking and set a timer for 40 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the sweet potato so that you can add the fries to the oven about 10-15 minutes later.
- Peel the sweet potatoes if desired and then cut them into fry shaped pieces, making them as even in shape and size as possible. Toss them with the melted coconut oil and spread on a second baking sheet. Place this baking sheet in the oven, on rack also near the middle of the oven but below the wings.
- When the 40 minutes is complete, oven the oven door and remove the pan with the sweet potato fries. Turn the oven temperature up to 425° F and set a timer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, use tongs or a spatula to flip each of the sweet potato fries. You may discover that some parts of the pan have fries that have already began to brown. If so, try to rotate them around on the pan so that you get a little bit more even browning. Return them to the oven.
- When the 10 minutes is complete, remove the pan with the wings from the oven. Using tongs, quickly flip each of the wings and then return to the oven for another 10 minutes. This will allow the top of the wings to get crispy as well.
- When you are placing the wings back in the oven, be sure to take a look at the fries and remove now if they are getting burnt. Otherwise, keep them in the oven until the wings have finished cooking.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 60 mins
- Cuisine: American