Here is an elegant and effective solution for the challenges of grilling asparagus, plus a delicious lemon herb sauce that turns this humble vegetable into something really special.
- 1 pound asparagus (large spears will be easier to thread onto skewers)
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- Preheat grill on high heat.
- Snap tough woody ends of asparagus spears off and discard.
- Use two wooden skewers to create a “raft” of 5-7 asparagus spears, connected by threading the skewers through them. Repeat as many times as necessary with additional skewers.
- Drizzle “rafts” with olive oil and rub with clean hands to evenly distribute on both sides. Sprinkle with salt.
- Place “rafts” on hot grill and allow to cook undisturbed for 5 minutes, then flip and grill for an additional 3-4 minutes on the other side.
- While the asparagus is grilling, prepare the sauce by finely chopping the fresh herbs and then combine with lemon juice and olive oil. Shake in a lidded jar or whisk vigorously to combine.
- To serve, remove asparagus from skewers and pour sauce over top (if you have extra sauce, store in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days).
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 9 mins
- Category: Vegetable