Tigernut flour has some natural sweetness and binding ability, which makes it an outstanding option for healthy gluten-free treats. These toffee bars are easy to make and fun for all to eat!
Make the base
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Grease an 8 by 8 inch square glass pan.
- Combine tigernut flour, palm shortening, applesauce, and salt in a mixing bowl, then spread in pan. use hands to press down evenly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until lightly brown on top and slightly firm.
- Allow to cool completely.
Make the topping
- While the bars are baking, in a small saucepan over low heat, gently melt the coconut butter and coconut oil and then stir in the carob powder. Allow to cool at room temperature for about 1 hour, so that it slightly thickens but has not hardened.
- Pour over top of bars and then place whole pan in refrigerator to harden for about 1 hour. If topping is set, but still slightly soft, it is ready to cut. If any part of the topping is still liquid, return to refrigerator and check again in about 30 minutes.
- Cut bars into 16 squares.
- Category: Dessert