The nightshade-free topping for this shepherd’s pie is enhanced with Greek flavors for a unique variation on the comfort food favorite!
- 3 pounds white sweet potatoes
- juice and zest from 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, plus more to garnish
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram, plus more to garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or lard
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 12-ounce bag of shredded broccoli and carrots
- Peel and cut sweet potatoes into chunks, each about 3-4 inches square. Place directly into a pot of water to minimize any browning.
- Place pot over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium heat, just high enough to maintain a strong simmer without boiling over and cook for 20 minutes. Drain and add lemon juice and zest, oregano, marjoram, salt, and coconut oil or lard. Use a potato masher to mash and combine. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the ground lamb and pork until no longer pink, using a wooden spoon to break up meat and combine thoroughly. Add oregano, marjoram, garlic powder, and salt and cook until fragrant.
- Add shredded vegetables and stir. Cook until vegetables have become soft and some of the liquid has been released so that they have shrunk (about 5 minutes).
- Transfer filling to a 2-3 quart casserole dish and then spread topping evenly on top. Press down with a wooden spoon to compact it slightly and then sprinkle with additional oregano and marjoram as desired.
- If baking immediately, preheat oven to 425°F and bake for 25 minutes.
- If baking from frozen, do not preheat oven first and increase bake time to 45 minutes.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Greek