You might think you are dreaming when you bite into these AIP bagels! The texture and density is spot-on, the pumpkin and cranberry flavor is just a seasonal bonus.
- The baking process for bagels includes two steps: boiling and baking, so set up for that first. Fill a large pot with enough water that you will be able to place 3 bagels in it at a time and give them enough room to move around and not touch each other. Preheat your oven to 450° F and line a baking sheet with either parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Put warm water in a pourable measuring cup and add maple syrup and yeast. Mix and set aside for a few minutes while you weigh and mix your flours.
- Using a baking scale, measure out the tigernut, cassava, and arrowroot flours and place in a mixing bowl. Add salt and whisk all to evenly distribute.
- Add pumpkin puree to flour mixture and then add about 3/4 of the water and yeast mixture. Combine with a spoon and note how dry or moist the dough is becoming. Add just enough of the remaining water to create a dough that is able to be mixed together and hold its shape and not overly wet and hard to manage.
- Add in the cranberries.
- Place dough on a clean countertop and use your hands to knead a few times, ensuring that the flours and all ingredients are evenly distributed and a good dough has formed.
- Divide the dough into 5 equal sized portions and shape into bagels.
- Carefully place 3 bagels, one at a time, into the boiling water. Set a timer right away for 4 minutes. They will sink to the bottom and may stick there, so after about a minute of boiling use a long handled slotted spoon or a skimmer like this one to gently dislodge them from the bottom and let them float up to the top. After 4 minutes of boiling, remove each bagel with the slotted spoon or skimmer and place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining 2 bagels.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for at least 30 minutes, then slice and eat. These taste best on the day they are made but can be frozen if you wish to keep them longer.