This rustic gluten-free galette is an impressive and easy to make dessert, perfect for holiday dinners!
- 1 cup (165 grams) cassava flour
- 1/2 cup (55 grams) tiger nut flour
- 2 tablespoons (16 grams) arrowroot starch/flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 tablespoon (10 grams) coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (180 grams) cold lard or palm shortening
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) ice water
- 1 1/2 pounds Asian pears
- 3/4 cup cranberries
- fresh rosemary
- Place the cassava, tiger nut, and arrowroot flours in a food processor. Add the sugar and salt and pulse a couple times to mix.
- Add the cold lard and pulse until the mixture begins to look like crumbs, but don’t over-process as we don’t want the lard to melt.
- Add the ice water and continue pulsing until the mixture has come together. Depending on the temperature and humidity level of your kitchen, you may need to add 1 to 3 additional tablespoons of water to make the dough hold together. Place the dough in the refrigerator while you prepare the pears and preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Peel and core the pears and cut them into thin (about 1/8 inch thick) wedges. Toss in a bowl with the cranberries and toss with a light dusting of arrowroot starch.
- On your work surface, lay out a piece of parchment paper that is about the size of the baking sheet you will be using. Lightly dust it with arrowroot starch and then place the dough onto it. Shape it into a ball and then flatten it down to about 1 inch thick. Sprinkle arrowroot starch over top of that and then place a second piece of parchment paper on top. Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough evenly until it is a rustic circle about 1/8 inch thick.
- Remove and discard the top piece of parchment. Place the pear and cranberry mixture on the center of the dough, leaving at least 2 inches around the edge. Then start at the top of the dough and use the parchment paper to help you pull up the edge and then lightly fold it over the fruit filling. Repeat all the way around, until you have a rustic pie with some fruit still showing in the middle.
- Carefully transfer the galette, still on the parchment paper, onto a baking sheet.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until lightly browned. Garnish with rosemary and additional cranberries if desired and sprinkle with a teaspoon of chopped rosemary.
- Allow to cool for about 15 minutes without trying to move it, then slice and serve.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: French