Traditional cabbage rolls get a new look with this AIP compliant and extra nutrient dense variation!
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil(divided)
- 3 ounces minced onions (about 1/2 cup)
- 6 ounces fresh mushrooms, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 small head savoy cabbage
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos (for SCD substitute bone broth)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 garlic clove, crushed or minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 3 ounces diced carrots (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 ounces diced celery (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup bone broth
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon avocado oil. Add onions and cook until soft and slightly golden (about 4 minutes). Add mushroom pieces and cook until liquid is released and they are about 1/2 their original volume (about 3 minutes). Set aside to cool.
- Bring a large stock pot filled with water to a strong boil. Use a paring knife to cut around the core of the cabbage so that the top few layers of the cabbage are loose, but otherwise leave it intact. Lower the cabbage into the boiling water. After 1 minute the loose outer leaves will be soft. Use tongs to remove the outer leaves and set on a plate. Continue cooking for another 3-4 minutes, or until all leaves have softened and then remove the remaining cabbage and let it until cool enough to handle.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining 2 tablespoons avocado oil, lime juice, coconut aminos (if using, or bone broth), ginger, garlic, turmeric, and salt. Add the chicken, carrots, celery, cilantro, and the cooked onions and mushrooms from step 1. Combine to distribute sauce evenly throughout mixture.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Select 10-12 of the best cabbage leaves for the rolls, plus 3 or 4 additional large ones to serve a as a steaming “blanket” for the entire dish. Reserve the others for a separate application. Use a paring knife to cut out the thick center ribs of the leaves that will be the rolls, leaving the rest of each leaf intact.
- Place about 1/2 cup of the chicken and vegetable mixture in center of each leaf and tuck in the sides and bring the bottom edges together to form an oblong package. Place the rolls seam side down in a single layer in a heavy casserole dish with a lid or dutch oven.
- Place 3 or 4 large cabbage leaves over top all of the cabbage rolls then pour bone broth and vinegar over. Cover with lid and bake in oven for 1 hour.
- Remove and discard the top cabbage leaves and serve the cabbage rolls hot, with some of the steaming juices poured over top or passed at the table.
Savoy cabbage works best for this dish, not only because the ruffles are pretty and the flavor is nice, but because the leaves are the right shape and roundness for easy rolling. It is worth the extra effort to seek it out.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Entree