When I started making these paleo chocolate chip cherry muffins, I had every intention of baking ordinary breakfast blueberry muffins. But then when I went to the freezer for a bag of blueberries from last summer, my hand instead found a bag of frozen cherries I’d forgotten we still had. I decided to go with it and quickly modified my plan, and then adding at the last minute a handful of mini chocolate chips because cherry and chocolate is a natural flavor combination. By now I’d strayed pretty far from traditional breakfast fare and was definitely treading into indulgence territory, but sometimes you just have to embrace the idea that life is short and it isn’t a terrible thing to start your day with dessert once in a while!
Cherries are one of my absolute favorite fruits (Trivia alert – did you know cherries are botanically not berries, but “drupes”? Well, now you do!) and this year we were fortunate to get to the u-pick farm during the short period of time they had them available and picked more than our share, enlisting my visiting in-laws to help! We ate a bunch while they were fresh and then I meticulously pitted and froze the rest to be enjoyed throughout the year.
Like most “paleo” baked goods, these are not exactly healthy. But I tried to keep the amount of sweetener in check, relying instead on the sweetness of the cherries. They are gluten free, grain free, dairy free (though you could use butter if you tolerate it and prefer that in place of the palm shortening and whole milk instead of the coconut milk), and nut free. Make sure you use a quality chocolate chip that is dairy and soy free (I like this brand), palm shortening from a sustainable source (I trust this brand), and coconut milk without added stabilizers and in a BPA-free can (this is my favorite brand).
Cherry Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe
- ⅓ cup tapioca flour
- ⅓ cup coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- ⅓ cup honey
- ¼ cup palm shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 cup frozen cherries
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In small bowl, whisk tapioca flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt, making sure to break up any lumps.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs (using a stand mixer is easiest) and then add honey and palm shortening and beat until smooth.
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients, then add vanilla and coconut milk. Batter will be thick.
- Stir in the frozen cherries and chocolate chips.
- Divide among 12 lined muffin pan compartments. These will not rise a lot, so it is fine to fill them to the top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until top is lightly browned and the muffins are baked through (use a toothpick to test).
- Allow to cool slightly and serve warm or at room temperature.
More great paleo-friendly muffin recipes:
- Grain and Dairy Free Lemon Cranberry Muffins (Grass Fed Girl)
- Carrot Ginger Coconut Muffins (Savory Lotus)
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Mini-Muffins (Healy Real Food Vegetarian)
- Grain Free Spiced Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins (Don’t Mess With Mama)
- Coconut Flour Morning Glory Muffins (FriskyLemon)
Shared on Gluten Free Fridays.
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.