Did you know today is National Cookie Day? I didn’t either, until I posted a photo of these paleo friendly naturally sweetened “faux-oatmeal” raisin cookies on Instagram and one of my followers told me so. In that case, this seems like a perfect day to post my first ever cookie recipe to the blog!
There are several other “not” oatmeal raisin cookie recipes out there in the paleo treat world and they are all delicious, but I’ve yet to find one that doesn’t use almond flour, almond butter, or both. I still haven’t successfully reintroduced nuts into my healing diet and I’m not sure I ever will… my digestive system just doesn’t like them very much.
On the other hand, my guts seem to love coconut. And that is a very good thing because this recipe uses coconut in three different forms: coconut flour, shredded coconut, and coconut butter. Not sure where to get all these coconut products? Try my favorite new website for paleo goods: Barefoot Provisions. They carry all three, including an amazing organic coconut butter that is stone ground from whole coconut meat. Click here or on the image below to learn more.
Notes for healing diets
- This recipe is SCD and GAPS legal without any modifications.
- Eggs are not allowed on a strict AIP protocol, but they are the only non-AIP ingredient so if you’ve been able to reintroduce eggs this may be an appropriate recipe for you.
- Coconut is not high-FODMAP, contrary to lists based on early lab testing. However, apples are high in FODMAPs and are one that a lot of people have trouble with (including me) when they are FODMAP sensitive. The per-serving dose is fairly small in this recipe, so proceed with caution.
- 6 dates
- ½ cup coconut butter
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup apple sauce
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¾ cup shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a food processor, chop dates so they are extremely fine.
- Add coconut butter, coconut flour, eggs, apple sauce, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Process until a very smooth batter.
- Add coconut and raisins, pulse just to combine.
- Scoop onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or silicone baking mat in rounded tablespoons, then flatten slightly with a moist hand (they will not spread while baking).
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until they are beginning to brown around the edges.
- Remove to a wire rack and allow to cool.
More great grain free cookie recipes…
- Double Trouble Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Paleo Iced Gingerbread Cookies – Beauty and the Foodie
- Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies – Gourmand in the Kitchen
- Sugar Cookies – A Girl Worth Saving
- Paleo Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie – Paleo Fondue
- Giant Sunbutter & Chocolate Chip Cookies – So, Let’s Hang Out!
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.