In case you haven’t noticed, pumpkin is a pretty big deal this time of year and this recipe for a nut free paleo pumpkin spice cupcake is my latest entry into the pumpkin arms race. One store that seems to really be pushing the pumpkin avalanche is Trader Joe’s. On a recent trip to pick up my usual organic produce, grass fed butter, and other paleo staples, I couldn’t help but be distracted by the wide variety of pumpkin-flavored treats, drinks, snacks, and more. It all looks delicious but since I need to eat strictly gluten-free and mostly grain and dairy free, the only item that ended up in my shopping basket was a can of their organic pumpkin puree.
- I wanted to make this recipe dairy free, so I used palm shortening. If you tolerate grass fed butter, you could use that instead. If you use palm shortening, make sure you get a brand that is organic and sustainably produced, such as Spectrum.
- Coconut sugar is a great whole food alternative to refined cane sugar and works very well in baked goods such as these. You can buy it at most health food stores or online.
Notes on healing diets
- Paleo Autoimmune Protocol (AIP) or The Paleo Approach (TPA): The only non-AIP ingredient are the eggs, so this would be suitable for people who have been able to reintroduce them but perhaps cannot tolerate nuts, dairy, or nightshades. I have not tried this recipe with egg alternatives like gelatin, so please let me know how it turns out if you do!
- Low-FODMAP: The Monash University says a 1 cup serving of sweet potatoes is high in mannitol and should be avoided by people who malabsorb that polyol, but that a 1/2 cup is low enough to be well tolerated by most. I have no idea how sweet potato flour converts here, so I would be very cautious if you know that mannitol is an issue for you. You would also want to use a different sweetener in the frosting since honey is very high in fructose.
- Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD): Sorry, this recipe is not SCD legal because of the sweet potato flour.
Paleo Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes RecipePrint
Click to Pin It!
For more great paleo-friendly pumpkin recipes…
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
- Pumpkin Cranberry Bars
- Cranberry Orange Pumpkin Spice Muffins
- The Ultimate Gluten Free Pumpkin Recipe Round Up (So, Let’s Hang Out)
- 75+ Grain-Free, Paleo Pumpkin Recipes (The Real Food Guide)
Shared on Allergy Free Wednesday