These marinated olives are a pretty addition to a spread of party food and offer a nicely complex flavor contrast to the usual other finger foods. They fit it into pretty much anyone’s diet, whether it be paleo or vegan or low-carb, and work nicely with most healing diets with just basic modifications. And as a bonus, they are dead simple to make!
Notes for healing diets
- Paleo Autoimmune Protocol (AIP): Eliminate red pepper flake and cayenne.
- Low-FODMAPs: Eliminate shallot and garlic.
- Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD): No modifications necessary (check labels of your olives to make sure they do not contain illegals).
- 1 6 ounce can or jar green olives, pitted
- 1 6 ounce can or jar black or kalamata olives, pitted
- Zest and juice from 1 large orange
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 large garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- pinch cayenne pepper
- freshly ground black pepper
- Combine all ingredients into a shallow bowl or baking dish and toss to coat olives evenly.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight or longer (at least 8 hours, 12+ will result in better flavor).
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before serving.