Most popular new recipes on the blog
- Double Trouble Paleo Chocolate Cookies (December 11, 2013)
- Christmas Morning Coffee Cake (December 3, 2013)
- Cranberry Coconut Paleo Treats (December 14, 2013)
- Not Oatmeal Raisin Cookies (December 4, 2013)
- Paleo “Peanut Butter” Cups (December 19, 2013)
- Sweet and Sour Paleo Meatballs (December 18, 2013)
Notice what the first five of those recipes have in common? Yep, they are all sweets. I don’t have a problem with that, especially since this was December and at least these paleo-ified versions are better for us than the stuff we might have otherwise eaten. But it isn’t a trend we should continue throughout the year. So look for fewer treats in January and more recipes for tasty food that helps get our eating habits back on track.
This month I started a series of reviews of healing diets for Crohn’s disease, beginning with the one I first tried: The Specific Carbohydrate Diet. Coming soon will be posts on AIP, low-FODMAPs, and more.
Oldies but goodies, also popular in December
These naturally red velvet cupcakes remain popular every month. They are one of the very first recipes I created and I worked really hard to get the recipe just right, so I’m glad people are enjoying them.
I posted this recipe for the best ever brined turkey and gluten-free gravy at the end of November and I’m glad to see people finding it this month. It was a huge hit in my family!
This recipe for coconut milk yogurt continues to see lots of traffic, as do these recipes for paleo chicken fried steak and easy shepherd’s pie. Finally, this recipe for cumin spiced pork chops with root vegetables was the first recipe I posted when I started the blog and it has been in the top 10 every month since!
Favorite new recipes from my friends
So many recipes to try, so little time! In no particular order, here are some that caught my eye in November and have gone onto my “to try” list. All are paleo and also nut free, or easily modified to be so.
- Paleo Lemon Blueberry Poke Cake from Beauty and the Foodie
- Homemade Peppermint Marshmallows from Oh Lardy!
- Colorful Asian Slaw from DJ Foodie
- Ahi Tuna Ceviche with Sesame and Mint from Meatified
- Paleo Chicken Bacon Mushroom Quiche from Stupid Easy Paleo
Crohn’s disease in the news
Seemed like a fairly slow news month for Crohn’s disease stories. The major story is that it looks like vedolizumab, produced by Takeda Pharmaceuticals, is soon to become another bioligic drug option and will be used with patients who have tried and stopped responding to Humira and Cimzia.
- Vedolizumab is backed by FDA advisory panel for approval
- Vedolizumab looks like a promising drug for the treatment of ulcerative colitis, but less for Crohn’s disease
- The American Gastrointestinal Association recommends anti-TNF-a bioligic drugs (like infliximab or adalimumab) to induce remission in Crohn’s disease
- Interesting news on an innovative trial is using patient’s own bone marrow cells to treat Crohn’s disease